Sunday, March 25, 2007

brunch with Amy E.



Time to bring out our fancy China wear, because we're going to have brunch with Amy E., who is a designer in Alberta, Canada, and she goes by the name Code Lime (but you may know her as Sweet Loveable Goods!).

Do you remember your Grandma, or perhaps mum wearing knitted or crocheted Mary Janes? She sells many gorgeous things, but one of my favorites would have to be her Mary Jane slippers. They have a real vintage appeal, but they are also really modern and rocky. Our feet shall be pleased, because they are super comfy and warm.


So let us sip our tea, and learn more about Amy...


1. Tell us a little about yourself
I am 24 years old.

2. What is your craft?
My craft is a little bit of everything. I thrive on learning new things and am constantly at the library or buying new books to teach myself whatever I can get my hands on. I am currently taking a dress makers course as well. I want to try it all just to say I tried. I've learned that I am not a jewelry maker, painter or Martha Stewart. I am however a crocheter
, book binder, printer (gocco and silkscreen) button maker and mess maker!

3. What inspires you?
Many things inspire me, but I've found I am more inspired when I am at peace. When Im not concentrating on what to make next or thinking about the things I want to make is usually when an idea pops into my head. I love the patterns of scrapbook paper and fabrics. I could stare at paper and fabric for days. I am a visual person I have to sketch things out before I can really see it.


4. Do you have any advice to give to other indie designers?

My only advice is to make what you love if it feels like a job or a chore you may as well get a job working for someone else. When you are happy it shows in your work, a person in love can create such romantic things and you can feel the love. If you are having a bad day, take the day off. Don't let it out in your creations or you will see that piece and forever remember that bad day. How can you sell something to a person when you yourself don't enjoy the item.



5. What is your favorite thing that you have created recently?
A princess skirt for my daughter. Its so far from perfect, but its 4 layers of fabric and tulle and she loves it. I made it in about 20 minutes just so she could wear it before bedti
me and she wouldn't take it off. She doesn't care if the layers are even or if the waist is a little bulky she just feels like a princess in it and that's all that matters.

6. What is the first thing you can remember making by hand?
I remember digging toilet paper rolls out of the garbage because you could make telescopes and megaphones with them. In kindergarten I was a painter, I still have some of the paintings and I can still tell you what they are supposed to be!


7. Where do you sell and when did you decide to start selling you work?
Right now I sell mainly on Etsy. I have some mirrors at Bella in Alaska and some on their way to Six One Six in Australia. I hope to have my site Code Lime up and running by mid April at the latest. I started selling my work when I started making my Mar
y Jane slippers. It took me 3 weeks and about 6 no good slippers to come up with a pattern that I was happy with and my sister immediately wanted a pair. The first pair went to my mom. People started seeing the slippers and wanted some of their own, that was almost 2 years ago.

8. Apart from creating things, what else do you enjoy?
Playing with my 2 year old and my husband, spring and fall, trees and snack food!

9. What three words would describe you the best?
Mother, wife, maid... haha, they really do, but for real I'd say Happy, jumpy,
and loud!


10. What/Who is your latest indie crush/designer?
I'm currently coveting Tree house 28

4 comments:

Esma Studios said...

Such cute things! I love the Lefty notebook (even though I'm a righty)!

Amy said...

Thank you girls so much for the feature! I love checking out all the new outfits you put together! Wishing much success and great things to you both!

Anonymous said...

Wow, another great designer! Those slippers are calling my name!!!!1

AnnieRoso said...

I bought a pair of those adorable crocheted mary janes for my 16 year old stepdaughter and she LOVES them. Now to get a pair for myself.... So cute!